Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stocking up

(Don't forget about the Great MOMS Walk. More details here.)

Last weekend Phillip, Emily & I spent a few days in Abilene. I had given Phillip a dinner at Towne Crier for Valentine's Day and we were finally getting to use it! Besides that, I needed to stock my new freezer! While it's not completely full, it's well on its way and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to keep both freezers in use and organized. So far, I think I'll be pulling a week's worth of food into the small freezer inside and leaving the big bags of stuff outside. I don't know how well that will work, but it's my plan for now. If you have any better ideas for using a freezer that is outside and, therefore, not conveniently accessible, let me know!

Before:


After:
In stocking the freezer, I knew I needed to do some price checking. I had already planned to make a price book of some sort (got the idea from Lynley...thanks!) so this was my opportunity. I only have the time to shop at Wal-Mart and Sam's so those were the two places I shopped. I did find that some things were cheaper at Wal-Mart which I expected to be cheaper at Sam's. Here's where things were cheaper, for those who care.

Frozen produce:
blueberries-Sam's
broccoli-WM
corn-WM
mixed fruit-Sam's
triple berries-Sam's
strawberries-Sam's

Dairy (all by a long shot!):
cheddar-Sam's
Monterrey Jack-Sam's
mozzarella-Sam's
Velveeta-Sam's

Meat:
chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)-Sam's
turkey breast lunchmeat-Sam's
salmon filets-WM
sausage-Sam's (barely)
frozen shrimp-WM
smoked sausage-Sam's
tilapia-WM

Staples:
chocolate chips-Sam's
extra light olive oil-Sam's
OJ-about the same either place

Paper Products:
foil-Sam's
gallon zipper bags-Sam's (for Ziplock vs. Great Value brand!)
quart zipper bags-Sam's (for Ziplock vs. Great Value brand!)
sandwich zipper bags-Sam's (for Ziplock vs. Great Value brand!)

Baby:
Gerber 2nd foods-Sam's (by a lot!)

5 comments:

Lana said...

Freezer looks better now with some food in it -- the bread's not so lonely looking!

Jenni said...

yay!!

Cara said...

Thanks for doing all the work for me! Now I know where to shop!

Bethany said...

This is actually helpful for us, as we are Sam's shoppers too.

Btw, have you ever noticed how milk looks yellow in photos? (don't know why I notice such things.)

We miss you guys. Do you think y'all will be able to make it to Kristen's wedding?

Bethany said...

Yay! It will be great to see you guys and Emily!